Sunday, August 26, 2012

Never a Dull Moment

Today I watched the Cleveland Botanical Gardens disappear in my rear view for the last time (for this summer at least). I say this summer because I am determined to visit again some day! The gardens are constantly changing and evolving so I'd love to enjoy them during another season! I'd especially like to be around for the winter show and orchid show, thankfully I'm a fan of CBG on Facebook so I'll at least be able to enjoy photos!

As far as my last few days at CBG, there was never a dull moment, with something exciting everyday. On Thursday, I got an unexpected call into Costa Rica. The ants had escaped again and Mark had to suck them all up and return them to their home before he could even think about morning duties. I was happy to assist and get everything done before guests began arriving at 10. I also had my exit interview in the afternoon and I was very excited to share my great experiences from the summer! Plus, I was treated to a birds eye view of the Courtyard Garden which was the inspiration for my intern project.

]

Friday felt like my last day since nobody else would be around on Sunday. I spent most of the day in anticipation for the arrival of my guests, mom and dad! Once they arrived I gave them a tour of the whole garden including my work areas and the indoor biomes. I enjoyed being able to share with them all of the projects I worked on during the summer. Mom also got to see one of the many wedding parties that go through CBG, even better it must have been British because guest were wearing hats and one man even had on a kilt! We went to Melt for dinner, basically a glorified grilled cheese joint. I've been told by many I needed to try it out, and it was definitely worth it! Mom and I shared one of the sandwiches and I was still stuffed! That evening I also took them to Chagrin Falls and Jeni's Ice Cream for dessert. Dad definitely wins most interesting flavor with sweet corn and raspberry!



Saturday was an early morning for us, because I had lots planned for mom and dad to see! In my typical fashion, I even had a detailed itinerary planned out including our arrival and departure times for each destination.  We did pretty well on timing but I was also flexible to include a few other stops.  First off it was to Headlands State Park so I could show them my favorite beach on Lake Erie, many sunset evenings were enjoyed here.  After the beach, we headed into Ohio Wine Country.  I definitely have a greater interest in wineries than them but they were willing participants and even shared in a tasting with me at Grand River Cellars.  They enjoyed the ice wine just as much I as do.






After Grand River, we continued our wine tour to Lake Erie and The Lakehouse Inn. All I have to say about this - absolutely stunning view! The rest of the afternoon was spent near Ashtabula Harbor checking out the various vendors of the Ashtabula Wine and Walleye Festival. As odd as it is, neither wine or walleye were consumed but we did enjoy some chocolate covered grapes and samples of sangria wine fudge!



The lack of walleye was necessary to save room for the amazing dinner we were delighted to have at Tarsitano Winery and Cafe. The whole evening was pleasant and relaxing with friendly service, incredible wine and one of the most delicious four course meals I have ever had! I might be getting a little excessive on the photos this time but I am a total foodie and everything was too good not to share! We started with a Brie and prosciutto crostini followed by a house salad to share. I ordered the Riesling Rosemary Ravioli with steak for my main course, and I can easily say it rivaled if not beat out the Ravioli I enjoyed during Little Italy's Feast of the Assumption! We ended with a double chocolate cheesecake to share. This was all complemented quite nicely by the Isabella apple cider wine recommended to us by the owner!



And it's finally arrived, my last day as a Cleveland Botanical Garden horticulture intern. The excitement continued as I walked out to do morning duties and met a skunk in the Japanese Garden. Thankfully I didn't startle him because that would have been an unenjoyable going away gift! It's sad and I'm definitely going to miss the garden and it's amazing staff but I'm ready for home. Bring on the 16 hour journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment