Saturday, July 21, 2012

Touring the Gardens

An eventful week it has been, to say the least.  On Thursday, we finally saw some rain, but still not enough to really make an impact.  Unfortunately while the rain was falling, I was sitting in an urgent care waiting room.  I had a little run in with some poison ivy and had quite the reaction.  After a few hours, a steroid shot, and a crazy Russian doctor it was back to work.  It was quite uncomfortable and I ended up calling it an early afternoon.  Thanks to Benadryl, I was able to fall asleep quite easily that night and avoid the urge to itch!  I was quite worried this would interfere with the fantastic garden visits we had planned on Friday, but I am happy to say I was still able to attend.

Friday morning was a quick rush to get morning duties finished before we headed out to the Draime Estate and Fellows Riverside Gardens.  Most of the horticulture staff were in attendance to tour these tour stunning, very different landscapes.  I truly appreciate the CBG Horticulture internship program for allowing us to have these experiences along with our day to day work routines. 

Our first stop was the Draime Estate, which is an estate garden owned and operated by Kent State University.  Mr. and Mrs. Draime began developing their gardens in 1990, but it was in 2003 when they decided to donate their property to their alma mater, Kent State, in order to form a partnership to accomplish a three-fold mission.  The Draimes wanted their estate to inspire the Kent State community to discover, create, apply and share knowledge in this unique learning environment; to engage students in practical learning, critical thinking and intellectual understanding enabling them to acquire the knowledge and skills that lead to productive careers and responsible citizenship; and to serve as a model of philanthropy for Kent State University [Draime Estate Gardens Brochure]. 

Water Element Garden

Conservatory by the Lake

Draime Estate Lake

These gardens are not open to the public, so it was truly an honor to view and experience such splendid designs.  This was definitely my favorite of our two visits!  Not only were the gardens stunning, but I couldn't help but also fall in love with the art and architecture throughout the 10-acre property.  My absolute favorite was the Italian Folly.  Influences from European gardens, specifically Tuscany, were important in the design of this beautiful setting and the stunning Henry Moore piece featured.  I believe I enjoyed this garden so much because the simple, organized feel reminded of the walkways in Paris! Some of the other featured gardens included the Perennial, Conifer, Japanese, Walled, and Orchestral Gardens.  The attention to detail amazed me, everything was so clean-looking!  We were also able to meet Mrs. Draime, an honor of course.  I was impressed to hear that she spends some time in the garden every day and works right along side of the staff watering, weeding, etc.  to achieve the look and feel she desires in her gardens.  Since Mrs. Draime is ultimately in charge of decisions, it sometimes becomes an interesting design process.  Peter, our tour guide, mentioned that he has learned to create gardens with a space, certain pieces of artwork, and a plant list.  He said it was a backwards method, but looking at his work you wouldn't know it because everything looks incredible. 

Italian Folly Building

Crushed Granite Alee to Henry Moore Sculpture

We then moved on to Fellows Riverside Gardens, a Mill Creek Metroparks garden.  This garden reminded me a lot of the MN Landscape Arboretum.  It was larger than any other garden I have visited here so far, and had a view to envy.  Located right on the shore of Lake Glacier, the setting of this garden is stunning.  I was impressed with their gardens, but they still didn't measure up to my experience at the Draime Estate.  Regardless, we had a lovely tour and even got to see a few of their upcoming plans such as the installation of new pathways.  They have a lot of big plans for the future at Fellows Riverside.


Fellows Riverside Gardens

Fellows Riverside has also recently published a children's book, A Walk in the Garden, which is a collection of kid's poems, photography, collages and reactions from a group of 6th graders to their Family Garden.  It was a really neat book.  I also thought it was pretty cool they had large page printouts throughout the garden as an interactive garden tour for children.  Another exciting thing was our trip inside the weeping beech tree.  I have never pulled aside the branches and leaves of a weeping beech to walk inside and experience the magic.  I really felt as if I had become a character in Disney's Pochantas and I was about to speak with Mother Willow and find out my destiny.  I could really use some guidance right now, considering I have absolutely no idea where I will be one year from now!  I guess that's the beauty of it all, and I have learned that for sure this summer.  Just go with the flow and eventually things will fall into place.

A Walk In The Garden Interactive Activity


Inside the Weeping Beech

Despite struggling with the drowsiness of Benadryl and the itch of poison ivy, it was a splendid trip to see some of the other gardens of Ohio.  I'd like to say it again, I truly appreciate CBG for allowing these opportunities to their interns.  Seeing these other gardens has given me another insight into my potential future plans which I never would have explored if it weren't for these tours.  It was an excellent day, and it was great to share it with such an enjoyable staff! 

No comments:

Post a Comment