Sunday, July 1, 2012

It's Going to be a Hot One

The end of the week was brought on by a heat wave and extensive amounts of watering for both the plants and I.  I have quickly learned the importance of staying hydrated in this unusually dry Cleveland summer.  Thankfully, we were able to get some projects done that did not require too much effort and/ or were mostly in the shade.  Bob is also gone this week, so I am temporarily looking after his gardens to ensure that all the plants are happy and healthy!  Everything seems to be doing quite well, and the lotus flowers have even started to bloom in the Terrace Reflecting Pool.

Lotus Flower

I spent some time working in the Restorative Garden once again on Wednesday, and I must say that it is one of my favorite places to be.  The garden is so interactive, and I love being able to touch and smell all of the interesting plants.  Once of my favorite scents is the apple-cider scented geranium, it really does smell like apple cider and it reminds me of winter evenings after a long day playing in the snow.  On Wednesday evening, I also checked out Wade Oval Wednesdays.  I was amazed at the amount of people that came out for the event, and an event it was.  A Celtic band was featured and I enjoyed some delicious funnel cake! 

Wade Oval Wednesday

Delicious Funnel Cake

Thursday and Friday were incredibly hot with a heat advisory in effect both days.  Thankfully on Thursday afternoon, we had an intern meeting scheduled so I was able to spend a little time in the air conditioned building.  We discussed our intern projects, and I am planning to do a design project.  I am currently deciding between redesigning the Courtyard Garden space or designing an empty green space from the ground up.  I am really looking forward to utilizing some of my landscape design courses and creating an interesting, functional space.  Right now, I am leaning towards working with the Courtyard Garden and meeting with the Retail Managers of CBG to ask what they would like to see in the Courtyard Garden since it is right outside the Garden Store.  I believe this will be a really fun project, and I am looking forward to getting started!

Potential Project Site

Potential Courtyard Redesign

Despite the heat, it's been an amazing week and I cannot wait to see what the next two months still have in store for me.  I have also come to terms with the heat, I am accepting that it's going to be like this for probably the rest of the summer so I better just get used to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment